Check!

I FINISHED THE HALF-MARATHON!!!

Wow, I can’t even believe I can write that.  It wasn’t easy, I almost died and it was snowing.  At times, it was like a f*cking blizzard.

Steph and I arrived at the race location at about 7:15 am or so.  There was no snow at that point, but Steph had tons of snow at her house when she left for the race so we were a bit concerned the snow was heading toward the race.

We checked in, picked up our shirts and got ready for the race.  G likes to play like he’s a big bad ass so he immediately put my race shirt on…

G's half marathon

And uploaded his picture to Facebook.  He also wanted to take pictures with us too so that was nice of him.

Before we knew it, it was time to go outside and line up for the start.

It was cold, but there was no snow on the ground…yet.

It started snowing about 1 mile into the race.  Just small flakes, but that changed rather quickly.  And pretty soon, we were running through this:

Snow

And the ground was pretty slick.  Not too bad, but there were multiple times when I almost slipped.  I found that it was better to run on the fresh snow than the ground, but even that was a little unstable.

The first 10.5 miles were pretty good.  I think we were running at about a 10:30 pace, which I was happy with considering the weather.  And then I hit the wall.

I told Steph I couldn’t run anymore.  My legs were done.  My lungs were fine, but my legs did not want to move.  I slowed my jog to about a 13-14 minute pace.  And even that felt awful.  It took me about 32 minutes to run the last 2.5 miles.  Brutal.

BUT I FINISHED!!!

And I didn’t die!  We got our medals, took some pictures and got the hell out of there!  It was so cold, I didn’t even realize how cold I was until I was in the car trying to unthaw.

Overall, it was good race and I finished in 2h 24m 19s…about an 11:02 pace.  Totally, totally happy with that!

While I never want to run a half-marathon again, I would go back and do the 10k in a heart beat.  It was a flat course and I’d never thought I’d be so happy to see the 10k turn around.  Maybe next year.

And now I can cross that off my bucket list!  Incredible.

This entry was posted in Workout and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Check!

1. Katie M says:

Congrats!! You’re a champ for running in the snow… I would’ve cancelled and had my hot chocolate at home =)

2. Great job lady! You rocked it in the snow! 🙂

3. sarahsmodernbites says:

You should be so proud of yourself! That is an awesome time for your first half, ESPECIALLY considering the weather!! I am running my first half at the end of February, the day before I turn 30… I am nervous about the weather! Got my fingers crossed it wont be snowing haha Last race I did in the cold my legs felt like popsicles and I almost tripped a few times because I couldn’t feel them for the first 2 miles.

I hope you have celebratory plans!!!

4. Diane says:

Congratulations!!! That is such a GREAT accomplishment! I, too, got to cross the half marathon off of my bucket list. I would love to cross a full marathon off, too. Time will tell. I can’t believe the snow! What a trooper! Awesome job!

5. Stephanie says:

congrats!! you are so awesome!! great job finishing your half marathon!!

I’m so proud of you for finishing! Good job babe! Now it’s time for a full marathon!

7. Pingback: Let’s play favorites

8. Brielle says:

Go you!!! I think the snow would have made me fall for sure!

9. You rock! I hope to run a half one day!! 🙂 Hooray for you!

10. Congrats!! Great job!!! And in the SNOW??!!! Brrrrr! I woulda lost my footing for sure 🙂

11. eatpraytri says:

Congrats!!! That is so exciting! I just did a 5k this weekend and dream of doing a half marathon. Someday hopefully. Such an inspiration. Great job!!

12. RicoleRuns says:

Way to go! Running on snow is way way harder than on the road alone, I bet that added to your leg fatigue. But way to push through the tiredness! Inspiring! Maybe another someday?!

13. You’re awesome! I just finished my first half two weeks ago 🙂 I’m an addict now! I’ve signed up for two more in the next two months. Congrats!

14. Congrats on finishing the Half Marathon! http://www.dashingdiva.net

15. CONGRATS! Running in the snow = I refuse haha. I just signed up for my first half but it’s in May, so there better not be any freakish weather haha. You are a fricken champion.

16. OMG!!! You do it too!!! A couple of years back my husband, well boyfriend at the time, was over at my house while my mom was prepping for dinner. Anyways, she kind of talks always and as she was taking the frozen chicken out of the freezer she decided to give us a play-by-play of what she was doing… “okay guys, time to de-thaw the chicken!”. In my mind: yupp, cool mom..thanks! In my husboyfriend’s mind: de-thaw?!?! What is WRONG with these Canadians?!?! Anyways, you said you ha to un-thaw in the car. boom! I’m not apart of a crazy family. Apparently, you and I both actually claim to “freeze” things when we say “de/un thaw” when we really mean to simply say “thaw”.

wow. can’t believe I typed that out…

17. Mary says:

Congrats! You’re inspiring, preparing to do my first this year too :).

18. Kathleen says:

Finished my first one the first week in January! Miles 10-12 were super slow. Glad to see I am not alone!

19. Great job! I did 3 miles in the snow last night and did not enjoy it one bit. You should give the half another chance when it isn’t snowing. 😉

20. Matt says:

Congratulations! I’m happy for you!

21. JK says:

Awesome!!! You’re bad ass, running in the snow!!

22. Congrats and good job! I’m still scared to run in the snow around here

23. Twila says:

I said never after my first HALF and then again after my second HALF…… 2 years late I have ran 5 marathons and am on my way to being a 50 stater in the next 20 years : ) Never say never! Great job and that is an awesome pace for your first half marathon.

24. I realize this is SUPER late (don’t judge…my Google reader has about 300+ items in it right now) but congrats!!!!!!

25. Pingback: Time for a run! | CatasTrophy Wife